All Saints Church
Colombo city is redolent with examples of its British, Portuguese and Dutch colonial past, a prime example of the latter being All Saints Church, perched atop what remains of the city’s old defensive wall.
Featuring outstanding European-style Gothic architecture, it was built and consecrated in 1865, and retains nearly all of its original, richly carved furniture and wood-carving.
A link with Colombo’s increasing modernity is one of the leading colonial families, the Bandaranaikes, who not only provided trustees for the church but also gave their name to Sri Lank’s international airport.
Though it is hidden among legal offices and the other ancient buildings, this church, with its 145-year history, is well worth seeking out.