Galle Fort Lighthouse
Galle Lighthouse (also known as Pointe de Galle Light) is an onshore Lighthouse in Galle, Sri Lanka and is operated and maintained by the Sri Lanka Ports Authority.
This is Sri Lanka's oldest light station dating back to 1848, but the original 24.5 metres (80 ft) high lighthouse built by the British was located about 100 metres (330 ft) from the current site, however it was destroyed by fire in 1934. The existing 26.5 metres (87 ft) high light house was erected here in 1939. The original light was furnished with a glass prism lens floating in a bath of mercury (to reduce friction) and was powered by a weight driven machine.