Holy Trinity Church
This quintessentially British church was visited by Queen Elizabeth when she came to Nuwara Eliya during her 1954 official visit to Sri Lanka.
To commemorate what by all accounts she considered a special highlight, the Queen later gifted the church a royal-blue carpet and beautiful stained-glass window.
She was reportedly particularly intrigued by the church’s huge (and sadly now defunct) pipe organ and the two old lych-gates, where planters who rode to church would dismount.
The first wedding at the church was of a Ceylonese couple, and the first baptism was of the daughter of a soldier in the 95th Light Infantry, both in 1843.