The Church of St Paul
This simple and quietly dignified place of Christian worship contrasts with the next-door Temple of the Tooth, one of Sri Lanka’s most sacred Buddhist sites.
Completed in 1848, consecrated in 1853 and enlarged in 1878 and 1928, it was built primarily to serve British officials stationed in Kandy, as well as serving as the Garrison Church.
Its red-brick Gothic exterior and interior redolent with Victorian religious overtones provides a spacious and restful interlude for visitors to recuperate from a busy morning’s sightseeing.
Not to be missed is the beautiful stained-glass window above the altar, which depicts the three women who find Jesus's tomb empty and are told by an angel that "he has arisen”.